You’ve got to be kidding me, right? How often are you hearing this? You know the frustration of entering your kwikset lock code and then having it not work. Recently, I experienced the same thing with one of my locks, which got me thinking — why does this happen? What causes a Kwikset to stop working after you change your battery? If you’ve ever been in this situation, this post is for you.
Here’s what you are supposed to do if your lock doesn’t work once, you replace the batteries.
- Check the batteries are inserted properly.
- If you decide to replace the batteries when you get the low battery sign, you need to program it by pressing the program button and ‘A’ button for 5 seconds before you put in the batteries.
- Restore the system completely and you will get the default settings.
These steps are explained in detail, so if you didn’t get these points, there is no need to worry!
How to Troubleshoot a Kwikset Lock that Won’t Work After Battery Change
1. Ensure the Batteries Are Correctly Installed
Most kwikset locks require four AA batteries. Check to make sure all four of your batteries are installed correctly. To do so, remove the cover plate with a flathead screwdriver and look inside. You should see four batteries installed in two slots on each side of the lock. The positive end of each battery should be facing out toward you and away from the lock. If any of your batteries are installed incorrectly, remove them and reinstall them with the positive end facing out toward you.
If your lock still isn’t functioning properly after inserting new batteries, try installing high-quality batteries rather than standard ones. I would recommend you to use AA batteries instead of Lithium ones.
If it still won’t work after changing the batteries, check to confirm that the batteries are not mixed with each other. If they get mixed, they won’t work well.
2. Press the Program Button and Button “A” Before Inserting the Batteries
The worst part about Kwikset locks is that you have to take the whole thing apart in order to get the batteries in. If you find yourself in a situation where your lock won’t work after changing the batteries, there are a couple of things you can try:
- Press and hold the program button before inserting the batteries. This will reset the lock.
- If that doesn’t work, press and hold both the program button and button “A” before inserting the batteries. This will reset all of the settings on your lock.
This will help the system get reset so that it can function properly. If you don’t do this, the lock may not recognize the batteries and therefore won’t work at all.
3. Restore Default Settings on Your Lock
It happens to the best of us: you’re trying to get into your house and your keyless lock won’t open. While we wish it was a simple solution, there are many things that can cause this problem. It’s also possible that you’ve accidentally changed some settings on your keypad lock, which is what we’ll focus on here.
If your Kwikset lock is still not working after you change the batteries, one of the most common culprits is that the default settings have been altered.
To reset your lock, you will need a paperclip or something similar to fit in the small hole on the edge of the lock. You’ll also need to know your master code and be able to access the inside of your door.
- Press and hold down the program button on the inside of your deadbolt.
- Insert a paperclip or similar object into the small hole in the bottom corner of the lock. Press and release; do not hold down.
- Repeat step two until you hear “Restore factory settings is complete” or you see a green light on your Kwikset lock.
Changing the batteries in your Kwikset lock should keep it running well. If, on the other hand, the batteries aren’t working after you’ve replaced them, double-check that they’re installed correctly and that you’re using the correct batteries.
As previously stated, lithium batteries are not advised; thus, if your lock uses lithium batteries, remove them and replace them with high-quality AA alkaline batteries. This should help your Kwikset lock’s battery performance difficulties.
If you’re replacing the batteries after seeing a low battery notice on the lock, press the Program and A buttons for 5 seconds each before replacing the batteries. The issue of “not operating after battery change” should be resolved as a result of this.